Alter recipes to suit the taste of whomever is cooking and eating this or any dish. Yogurt soup is a traditional Turkish meal, but it was changed somewhat when others got their hands on the recipe. In this case, the Turkish yogurt soup was changed to the Armenian yogurt soup with meatballs recipe and it is just as, if not, as good as the original. Try it, we are sure you’ll love it.
Armenian Yogurt Soup with Meatballs Recipe
For the meatballs you’ll need the following ingredients:
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups cracked wheat
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 egg
For the yogurt soup broth, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- 2 tbsp butter
- 32 oz plain yogurt (preferably homemade Greek yogurt)
- 2 tbsp dried mint
- 1 egg
- 2 – 14 1/2 oz cans of chicken broth (or homemade!)
Directions for the Armenian Yogurt Soup with Meatballs
- Mix together all the ingredients in the list for the meatballs. Use a food processor if necessary. Roll into balls no larger than the size of a quarter.
- For the broth,combine the yogurt with the mint, then crack the egg into this mixture, blending well. Heat the broth along with 2 cups water, then add yogurt mix, stirring so soup will not curdle. Add butter and stir until melted.
- Once broth is nearly boiling add the meatballs and heat for ten minutes.
Enjoy the yogurt soup any day!