Who can resist Greek yogurt? Actually there are many that don’t enjoy plain Greek yogurt because its taste is to tangy. Unfortunately, these people are missing out on all the health benefits of Greek yogurt. Greek yogurt is strained so it’s creamy, contains half the sugar, minimal fat and double the protein in comparison to regular yogurt. If you can’t enjoy it plain, then spice it up a bit using these 6 creative ways to add Greek yogurt to your diet.
1. Add your favorite fresh fruit to plain Greek yogurt for optimal health benefits without adding sugar.
2. Make your favorite smoothies using Greek yogurt. Fresh berries and bananas in combination with a drizzle of honey and cinnamon will give you a power drink that’s tasty and extremely nutritious to keep you going for hours. Frozen fruit will work just as well. In fact, Greek yogurt smoothies with all these beneficial ingredients are like a meal in a glass with minimal calories.
3. Using Greek yogurt in sandwiches as an alternative to mayonnaise. While mayonnaise can be an excellent condiment, it comes with many calories and simply isn’t healthy. Greek yogurt will provide a creamy and tangy taste to thrill your tastebuds. It works great with tuna and chicken salad sandwiches, but also other meat options. For even less calories, opt for a wrap rather than sandwich bread.
4. Baked potatoes, tacos, and Greek yogurt?! Rather than sour cream, top off these amazing foods with yogurt that’s full of protein.
5. Greek yogurt can easily replace ice cream and is a wonderful way to add this healthy snack food into your daily diet. Ice cream is full of sugar and fat, making it a super fattening food that should be avoided. On the other hand, frozen Greek yogurt flavored with frozen or fresh fruit can be a satisfying dessert option without any guilt. They can be made at home or even purchased from the grocery store, but the latter will have additives, preservatives, and probably more sugar than what you would make it home. To make frozen Greek yogurt pops, use plain Greek yogurt, stir in a bit of milk until smooth, and add fruit or even cocoa powder. You can even sweeten it with a bit of sugar or honey. Place it in the freezer and it will be ready in no time.
6. Use Greek yogurt and Parmesan cheese for a creamy Alfredo sauce that’s lower in fat and higher in protein. Grill some chicken and added to the mix for a completely nutritious meal that will taste sinfully good. In fact, the Greek yogurt can be used as an alternative to many sauces so get creative and healthy.
These are just some of the ways to add Greek yogurt to your diet for a healthier, longer life.
Click here for interesting and delicious yogurt recipes.
Photo credits: Eat Good 4 Life